Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey Time

Well, who the heck would have thought that little 'ole me would be doing the turkey this year!?!?! My cooking skills are what one would call amateur!!! I guess I have been a bit scared since the "turkey incident of '98"..... My sister Ginny and I hosted Thanksgiving and well, we forgot to remove 1 of the bags of inerds before baking!! Oops!
So you can see how one would NOT want to attempt this again. Well, 10 years have passed and I am going for it! I have to admit I dry-heaved removing the neck, THANK GOD I had some gloves to wear!!! I'm also being a little creative this year and i'm "brining" the turkey. Basically soaking it for several hours in a salty/yummy mixture. Then I am going to be puting it in the oven at 2:00 a.m. to bake all night :) I can't wait to wake up to the most delicious scent in the morning!! I just hope it tastes good!!!!!

The brine mixture: courtesy of Mr. Alton Brown :)

kosher salt, brown sugar, sage, rosemary, thyme, peppercorns, ice, water

Doesn't that look beautiful :)

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Tonya Staab said...

It does look delicious. You will do a fabulous job this year I'm sure.

Lowdens said...

You ARE amazing! I wouldn't even know where to start with a turkey let alone the kitchen ha Good luck tomorrow!

Barley Family said...

Ooooo Karie!! Can I come over? :) We are doing a rotisserie turkey, but this sounds so yummy!! Alton Brown is awesome I'm sure this will come out wonderful!! How funnnnn dont you just love the holidays!!!!!! I will pray that you wake up to the smell of yummy turkey and not smoke...just kidding, it will be great! :)

Kelly said...

Wow, that does look good. You go girl---I have never attempted this in all of my adult years (and there are many)--and not sure I want to start. I'm looking forward to the update! :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Proud mommy of Two said...

Wow that turkey looks awsome! I am curious to hear how it turned out! Happy Thanksgiving